Wednesday, September 21, 2011

feeling of a fire call

I'm sure many firefighters can relate to me when I say the feeling you get when the pager goes off. this emotion comes over you nothing else matters, but what you're about to go do. You get this rush of adrenaline that takes over your whole body. You rush to your car not thinking of your own safety, just getting to the help of others and what they need. That's if you're going straight to the scene. Riding the truck is a similar feeling. I know when I ride the truck my mind goes blank. We jump in as fast as we can and some of us are getting dressed, some of us are putting on air packs ready to play and some of us are listening to the sound through our headphones giving us a size up of the scene. I know alot of the guys at my station, and i would imagine at other stations, we get so mad when we get a page of one thing and when we get there it's a whole different story. we get mad and curse to ourselves about the dispatchers and how dumb they are. when really, we can't even be mad at them because they only page to us what people tell them, so really we should get mad at the callers. ha ha. anyways, getting back to the feelings, we make these jokes about firefighters who get woodys when they hear sirens. And , I'm starting to think it might just be true. ha ha firefighters, we live for this stuff so when we get a call, it's the adrenaline rush that gets us going at 4am and the fact that we just like to play with our tools. :) It's a really cool feeling. That's all there is to it.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about how that must feel...but I can imagine just the anticipation and the adrenaline going crazy. Nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete