Tuesday, August 30, 2011

my decision to be a volunteer firefighter.

It was two years ago. Matthew and I have been dating about a year. I was always down at his firehouse in Yoe with him. I thought it was really dangerous at first and didnt want him to do it but then I came to realize what these men are doing is so selfless and something i really wanted to give a shot. i told the chief i wanted tio be able to do the same things any man in that station could. soon enough i got handed gear and told i had to eventually take classes at the fire school, (which is actually through HACC!) it was about a year until i really got serious. in jan 2011 is when i started my essentials. all through April i have taken up to my exterior, which means, i can do anything outside a building just cannot go in, YET. i have taken a vehicle rescue course and can do anything on an accident scene. i realized firefighters, are the ones who you call when you need help. we are the ones who take time out of our lives, alot of time, to help others. i may sound like i'm bragging, but yes i think i am doing one of the most selfless things, being a firefighter. i love doing it and even though i cried more than ever and it took all the tears and sweat and blood i had to do those classes, i did it. and am still trying to do this. it means everything in the world to me and especially the men and women on 9/11 who gave their LIVES not just their strength, but theuir lives. that means so much to me. which is also why this year i wioll be attending the 9/11 ten year anniversary at ground zero.

2 comments:

  1. It's a really wonderful thing you're doing, and I'm sure I'll get to hear some really touching stories through this blog. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the fire service and the blogosphere. Think you're hooked now? Wait until you go interior!!

    ReplyDelete